My Notebook From Rochester, England


Image result for rochester castle photos














It is 17th of June bright beautiful morning with 20 C. Right now I am in
Rochester, England, but no change, weather looks the same as it was in 
Toronto two days back on 15th, when I started my journey 11.50 at night.

It was a long flight, seven plus hours. My daughter was at Heathrow 
Airport to pick me up. She lives in Rochester, two hours drive from 
Heathrow but in London, two hours can take hours, depending on
traffic. 

We started from airport around 1 pm and reached home at 5 pm. From
door to door, starting from my place at Pickering to my daughter's 
place, took me fifteen hours travel time.

Nearly same time on road as of my air travel time. Anyway, now I am here.
We had dinner together. My daughter made couple of my favorite dishes. 
I stayed at home as it was already evening. 

With dinner and shower, my day was nearly done still I got time to sort my 
suitcase to find things to give to my daughter and to my grandson. She has 
three kids. One more son, in Uni and one girl, working in London.

They will be here on weekend. I will give money to them. For teenagers,
I think, it is the best. It works both ways. They can buy things of their own 
choice and easy for me too.

Yesterday was also my calls day. My son from Toronto and my daughters 
calling me from Reading and Grimsby. My son in law keeps cell phone 
ready with all the numbers I have to call, my travel card and spare house 
key for me.

He knows that I wont be staying home all the time. My daughter also 
drives and they have two cars but she is working. She will be back from 
school at 4 pm. 

Rochester is small historic city. I can see the beautiful English Roses all
around the small front gardens. My daughter leaves at 7 in the morning but 
my son in law goes late for his work so he gave me a quick tour of the city.

The Castle, the cathedral and the city area. The small shops lined be the 
stone roads. The Charles Dickens museum. Today was not enough time,
I will see all that next time.

It is 12.40, I am sitting in Marks Spencer Cafeteria, having raisin scone
with cup of tea and writing my Blog. I am enjoining, it is served in tea pot 
and in separate milk pot, such a novelty, I haven't seen for so long.

Today is 19th of June, my third day in England. Yesterday I went to see my 
cousin sister. She is sick and much older than me, lives in Tooting Bec, two 
hours away from Rochester, from my daughter's place.

It is 11.45, I am at Next departmental store, getting dresses for my 
cousin's great grand daughters, two and six years of age. Clothing here 
in England are of very good quality and are in variety but costly too. 

Specially for we Canadians. One pound was more than two Canadian 
dollars. I am not sure how much now. Anyway, I got one from "Next".
The other dress, I saw yesterday at "B&m" is now gone, sold out.

I will look for another one at some other store, there are so many around
here in this plaza. For now I am sitting in Marks Spencer Cafeteria,
enjoying tea in tea pot with hot apple turnover, writing my Blog.

It is 2.30, 20 C, with drizzle, I am waiting for my grandson to pick 
me up. Here Malls mostly are open like big plaza, not indoors as in 
Canada. I have my cell phone, the one my son in law set for me. 

My daughters keep calling me to be in touch. Just now my daughter 
from Grimsby called. She is planning to pick me up on 29th of June, 
next Saturday. 

My youngest daughter from Reading coming this Saturday to see me here 
in Rochester. My grand daughter will also be here so it will be full house.

June 20th, It is 3.30, I am sitting in the main lobby of the Cathedral, writing
my Blog. After a quick tour now sitting in the Cafe room of the Cathedral.
I already had tea and don't drink much still having tea here, just to keep 
these moments in my memory box.

Rochester Cathedral is the second oldest in England, founded in sixth 
century. My daughter has some after school engagements, she will come to
pick me up at 6 pm. I have couple of hours in hand to enjoy, to walk around.

I am walking around the historic places, the Charles Dickens museum,
the Francis Galleries of Artists of Russia, all the beautiful mater pieces 
of arts and sculptures.

The Six Poor Traveler's House, of the 16th century old living, the beds, the 
pots, everything and the small cozy garden with beautiful Roses all around.
You can spend hours sitting there.

I am done here in Cathedral now going to walk along the Rochester bridge.
It is 4.15, I am at Rochester train station. It is small two platform station.
I am sitting on the olive green steel bench, two pigeons are walking around.
It is bit cold, 17 C.

It is 4.45, still more than an hour to enjoy, I am sitting in a nearby cafe, 
enjoying coffee, scone, cheese with jam. It costs pound 4.95. With all the 
Blessings from God, I am highly grateful for giving me the gift to enjoy 
my own company.

My grand daughter dropped me at Rochester High Street at 2 pm. She  
called couple of times to pick me up but I am fine. My daughter will be 
coming at 6 pm. It is 5.30, she will be here soon.

 June 21st, I am in Chatham mall, it is 10 minutes away from my daughter's 
place. It is big multistory indoor mall with factory outlet stores such as 
Marks Spencer and Clark.

It is 12.30, I am sitting in "The Panini Brothers Cafeteria", having tea 
and raisin scone with jam for pound 3.75. It was all waste of money.
Tea not hot, scone not well done. I couldn't have it.

It is 1.15, I am walking outside the mall, by the Dock area, so many boats
around. Weather is great sunny with 18 C. I have couple of hours to enjoy.
My son in law will pick me up at 2.45

I apologize for my Blog being so long. I want to share all my moments
 with my Dear Readers Family. 

Comments

  1. I have posted the blog in Smile Corner. This being Saturday, lots of customers are in my shop today to read blog. They come here to read blog from today and also the past week. There is no room inside, and people are waiting outside. The councillor is here also. She comes regularly now because it gives her a chance to meet everyone in town. The priest brought veggie omelette and gave to everyone after they say "Morning Smile". It is a festive day here thanks to Smile

    ReplyDelete
  2. My Smile is awesome! She is an awesome advisor! She is an awesome blogger. She is an awesome writer. She has awesome family. What an awesome person my Smile is!!

    Karen

    ReplyDelete
  3. I read this blog every day. It is my lifeline

    N

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like you blog in China. It very very good

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This good. Same scenery here. I no Anglais. French good

      Delete
    2. You blog good. I read Italy

      Delete
    3. This good blog. I read Russia

      Delete
    4. I like blog in Ukraine

      Delete
  5. Your blog is an eye opener. You are so active and go to so many places. My mother in law just sits in front of TV and does nothing. I posted the blog on our fridge so she can read it and get some ideas from you

    Happy Reader

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dear Madam Smile,

    You so good. You write good to. I so emotion after blog reading. I go to Mr. Supervisor and say him I need time out because I no able work. He say what hapen? You sick? I say no I emotion. He say why? Any problem with job workers? I say no I emotion because my Madam son very bad. He book her cheap ticket and make her fly to airport which is far from her daughter place. My Madam need go in car for 4 hour. She no good eater and no fat like fat worker. Mr. Supervisor say but sometime airport no close to home. I say NO in England there lot airport, I check on net. Like Gatwick only 1 hour from Rochestor. He say ok I say but her daughter good because she make 2 dish. Mr. Supervisor say I need do work so you go. I think he head hurt to. I do 2 proud job and always read blog

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dear Advisor,

    We read your blog with amazement today. We were surprised that you started your activities right away. The retirees never do that. When we go to some other place for vacation, we stay in bed for 2 days and then stay home for 5 days at least. We do not visit relatives, like you did nor do we do any sight seeing. The retirees are simply blown away at the highly active scheduling of yours.

    The retirees were very pleased and grateful for you that you shared so much details with us. Since we dont go to any of these exotic places, reading them provides a good perspective, specially because of your folksy style, it makes it feel that we are there with you.

    The retired priest noted that you are a good Christian and chose to go to Cathedrals on the very first week. He asked us all to take your lead and start going to churches like you do. The retirees dont like to go to church but we will start doing that as this is what you want us to do.

    The temple people were here too and unfortunately there was an incident. The cafe manager had ground beef with spinach as a Smile special. This was of course based on the recipe that you shared last week. The retired chef himself was involved in making this dish. This was a big deal because he is quite famous in 5 star properties. As a gesture of goodwill, the cafe manager decided that everyone who has come for your readings will get this dish at half price. The retired priest noted that the temple people are not having anything , so he bought one dish for them and offered it to them but they refused. The retired priest got offended and said that he knows that Sikh people eat meat. The retired chef tried to calm him down but the retired priest was very upset. He also told the cafe manager that they always bring in their own food and he has noticed that it includes meat wrapped in a roll, sort of their bread. The cafe manager said that he is aware of it and though the rule is that no food from outside should be brought here in the restaurant, he has chosen to allow that because they are your guests. We also tried to convince the hijab lady but she said that she only eat kosher meat. In the end everyone just left

    thank you
    recent retiree

    ReplyDelete
  8. Dear Author,

    We read your blog at the Smile Garden today. Yes SMILE GARDEN. The work on the Smile platform was completed this week. The Smile Army did most of the work but many professors also helped out. The Dean was also involved of course and so was Prof George. One day we also saw the Chancellor helping out. It was amazing. Mrs. Lucy was making sure that all people working on the platform are provided food. She joked that she is now an experienced chef of Smile recipes and a professional for making smoothies. We also had a dart board set up so when anyone gets bored they started playing darts

    The blog reading was amazing and it was great that you wrote a big blog because it allowed us all to enjoy it a little longer. Everyone was surprised that you started your daily sightseeing act ivies immediately and did not rest at all. Even the Smile Army volunteers cant do that. A few of them went on a student tour last month and they had to wait for 2 days before they started their regular activities.

    As usual there was pin drop silence during the reading of your blog. After the reading was completed, Prof George noted that you chose to go to Charles Dickens museum to which the Dean replied that being an accomplished author yourself, you probably were looking at the museum for some ideas. Some professors were discussing among themselves as to why you went to the Francis Galleries of Artists of Russia, the Dean heard them and smiled. He said to them that Smile is a multi dimensional personality who has a wide variety of interests.

    Some of the students are having a lot of problems with their parents. Their parents keep giving the example of other kids. We know that they want us to do better but making us feel that we are inferior to someone sucks big time. Its usually the parents from the subcontinent. We know that the lucky guy does not have to deal with these issues because of you

    thank you
    Literature Fellow

    ReplyDelete
  9. Another fresh blog! I am loving it

    cool Kyle

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Kyle, dont be surprised. If you go to McDonalds expect fast food and when you come here, expect to read fresh quality content.

      Good that you are enjoying it

      newbie

      Delete
  10. Father say father yell Kris lot today because Kris no take father any place like you Kris. Father say father yell Hannah because Hannah no make 2 dish. Father say father yell Niklas because he babiee. Father say father no say father old almost 67

    (Hannah say Hannah kris happy that you go you doter home. Hannah say you kris act and do niklas rest. Hannah say you please kris care you. Father yell me lot and say me no take father any like you Kris. Me say you Kris no take you any place but you do. Father say do. Me no no what do)

    Kris (Germany)

    ReplyDelete
  11. My Smile is amazing!! She is an amazing author. She is an amazing psychologist. She is an amazing councillor. She is an amazing therapist. She has an amazing family. What an amazing person my Smile is!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. We admire your tenacity and the spirit of adventure. We were not surprised that you landed in the continent and decided to not waste a moment but started your exploration. We were also not surprised that you decided to venture in a multitude of directions and avenues. We have some friends over who had an opinion of themselves as "Well rounded". When we narrated the extracts of your adventures in Rochestor to them they realized that you are at a different strata than many mortals. In a matter of a few days, you covered arts, culture and of course literature. Not to mention, exploring shopping !! This is incredulous. Just reading about it makes us a little dizzy as this is a whirlwind pace

    Thank you for making our days brighter
    Dave and Linda

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh Come ON! What is this ! Just give me a break - will yeah! I know .. I know ....

    Thank you mrizvi. Brilliant comment - again

    ReplyDelete
  14. Caaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaalllllllllllmmmmmmmmmmm down Plunker, just calm down.

    Fantatic job kiddo. You are bang on. How did you know that this is a good blog! You are right though

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

I am happy changed my menu

I have to put Reverse Gear

They can relate what we talk