A Tale of Traditions



It was
Karachi 1995

It was May 1995 

I was sitting in the Bayshore Mall of Ottawa, besides a coffee table in the cafe. I was absorbed in my dreams while my son was talking to his friends trying to get some stories from back home I don’t want to listen that it is better to be ignorant. It is good to cut off all the strings from back home so that I can move onwards still it makes one generation to settle down I migrated to Canada in 1992 it is 3 years back still in transitional phase in my adjustment period.

My mother migrated from India to divided India named Pakistan in 1947 I chose my migration to Canada for my son brighter future but my Mom did not She was forced to migrate

My mother used to cover her face It is only one generation passed and I can see the big difference even in her life style no more face cover

In my mothers time girls were not supposed to see any visitors. Girls were not allowed to meet even ladies except to immediate relatives

They were not allowed any type of schooling, no shopping could not go out. Some known ladies were allowed to bring cloth, bangles types of things to their homes which girls could choose in the presence of their mothers

They had to learn sewing and cooking ready to go to their next homes to serve their husband well. After only one generation I did my Masters degree, what a big change a big contrast between me and my Mom
I think that big contrast was because of migration as me and my daughters are same no big difference in our life style
May be our next generation after my migration to Canada would be very different from our life style from our culture who knows

Only time can tell
Let us wait and see



Bayshore Mall, Ottawa 1995



Comments

  1. Thank you for sharing this story Dadi. It makes us realize just how much has changed from one generation to the next.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

I am happy changed my menu

I have to put Reverse Gear

They can relate what we talk